Friday, September 20, 2013

My new favorite little big knife, Spyderco Techn

It takes me a long time to buy anything. Once I decide I'm interested in something, I spend the next few weeks doing research, trying to make sure I'm going to make the right decision. I went through the same process when I decided I wanted a new pocket knife. I ultimately decided I was going to go with the Spyderco Techno, and when it first arrived, I thought I'd made a mistake.

 
The Techno is a design from Marcin Slysz, a Polish knifemaker. It has a blade made from CTS-XHP, and the handle scales are made from titanium. It is a framelock design, which means part of the scale on the right side acts as the locking mechanism. It's a very secure design, and this particular knife has no blade play in any direction.


The knife is very well made. Fit and finish is the best of any Spyderco that I've owned. Seriously, that's not an exaggeration, it is the best made knife I've ever owned. I think the actual size of the blade caught me off guard. It's right around 2.5" long, and right at 1/4" thick. This is as thick as some of the larger fixed blades I've owned. That thickness, coupled with an unimpressive edge, really hindered the cutting ability of the knife out of the box. I also like having a nice pointy tip on my knives, and that's something that just wasn't possible with this design. I ended up posting it for sale the day after it arrived.
Now, the Techno is a pretty popular design, and it is sometimes hard to get for a decent price. I was a little surprised the offers didn't just come rolling in. Thankfully, that gave me some time to get to know the Techno a little better, and I decided I was going to keep it after all.  First thing, I took care of the edge, thinning out the shoulders, and lightly convexing the edge. I know some of this might not make sense to some of you non-knife folks, but basically I took the edge, and I made it gooder.

It's a real slicing machine now, which is surprising for its thickness. I have knives with blades half as thick that don't perform as well as this one. The other surprise with this knife, is just how comfortable the handle can be. It seems short and stubby, but it works well in a variety of grips.




Over the past month or so, it's become my favorite knife. I don't even have to think about which knife is going in my pocket for the day, because it's been this one everyday since I decided to keep it. I really don't feel the need to carry or buy anything else, and that's about the best recommendation a knife can get. 
I know knives aren't everyone's thing, but it never hurts to have at least one around the house to take care of those little cutting chores that pop up from time to time. If you're interested in their designs, just visit Spyderco's website and see if there's anything that catches your interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment